Re: Catalogs with Gun Prices

The Connecticut Historical Society (www.chs.org) has the personal
papers of Samuel Colt.  The collection is described as follows:

Colt, Samuel (1814-1862).  Inventor and manufacturer. Correspondence
and papers, including business records of Patent Arms Manufacturing
Company,1808-1869. ca 5,000 items. Colt was one of his time's most
prominent firearms manufacturers. His papers include a report on the
festivities planned for the coronation of the Emperor of Moscow,
Russia, in 1856, and a directive to his employees which stated that
"every man employed in or about my  armory whether by piece work or
by days work is expected to work ten hours during the running of the
engine and no one who does not cheerfully consent to do this need
expect to be employed by me."

Also, a quick search on RLIN AMC search form  shows that the
University of California -- Santa Barbara has a collection entitled:
Trade catalogs of firearms, 1895-1973.

Laura Smith
University of Connecticut Libraries

On 12 Apr 00 at 17:06, Hermann Trojanowski wrote:

> I am sending this message on behalf of a patron who is researching
> the price of guns and gun parts.  He is looking  for catalogs (1880
> - 1920).  We have a 1912 Sears Catalog in our collection which was
> helpful but he is looking for a catalogs dating back to 1880.
>
> Does anyone on the list know of a gun manufacturer who has an
> archive?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hermann J. Trojanowski
> Assistant University Archivist
> Special Collections Department
> North Carolina State University
> Box 7111
> Raleigh, North Carolina 27695-7111
> Telephone: (919) 515-2273
> Fax: (919) 515-7292
Laura Katz Smith
Curator for Business, Railroad, Labor and Ethnic Heritage and Immigration Collections
Archives & Special Collections
Thomas J. Dodd Research Center
405 Babbidge Road, U-205
University of Connecticut