From: Dennis Moser [mailto:dennism@LIBRARY.TMC.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, April 13, 2000 11:05 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: confidentialty and collections

Heather,

If I may add my remarks to some of the responses, as we deal with some of
these issues on an almost hourly basis (including educating some of our
staff!). Our archival collections have a significant number of extensive
patient and doctor's records.

One of the FIRST organizations to check with for guidance on this should be
your State Medical Offices...there are LEGAL requirements that must be met.
If you're not sure who to talk with there, try your County Medical Board or
Association...again, because there are state legal requirements that must be
met, county boards are responsible for the local hospitals meeting the
requirements, so they should have someone on staff to help you. Try "Ethics
Review Boards" or such committees.