Re: confidentialty and collections

I have another scenario that needs some thought: Medical records as components of legal files.

I have a large series of suits from a defunct HMO, mostly dealing with coverage denials, but some workers comp. suits. The medical records are not comprehensive over a lifetime, only involving treatments for a single condition. The series has been sampled, and I am inclined to attach a limited time frame for the restriction, then provide access to the case files with redacted personal information. Maryland has a very limited retention period on medical records, from what I can find in the state code.

Any additional thoughts on this one?

John P. Rees
Asst. Curator of Modern Manuscripts
History of Medicine Division