Re: maritime query

Michael Angelo wrote:

> I am looking for a repository which may hold marine trade catalogs or
> business records to help interpret a newly-arrived artifact.  It's a
> mechanical ship's log (not the book, but a device which measures speed,
> distance, etc.)  The little brass plaque reads, "Nicholson Ship Log
> Co./Cleveland, Ohio/U.S. Patent 1903."
>
> A 1920 marine directory lists "Nicholson Ship Log & Realty (!) Co., Inc.,
> 409 Superior St, N.W., Cleveland, Ohio."
>
> Any leads from our mid-west friends would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
> Michael
> f. michael Angelo
> library director
> independence seaport museum
> 211 s. columbus blvd.
> philadelphia, pa  19106

Michael,

Doing some "offhand" tracing of ships logs and trade manifests, I found a very
welcome resource -- National Underwater Maritime Agency.  While many may scoff at
this "agency", I have found their resources and abilities to reach other
resources remarkable.  You can try the initial contact through their website:
http://www.numa.net/

Clive Clussler is an excellent author but he is first and foremost a student of
maritime history.  He has surrounded himself with many people from many different
"climes" and managed to "dig into history" successfully.

paul
"All comments and opinions expressed in this message are the sole responsibility
of the
individual named below, unless cited otherwise, and cannot be attributed to any
other entity living or dead."

Paul M. Tarrant      109 Temple Rd.
(865)481-3905       Oak Ridge, TN 37830 USA