Chinese archivists.

Title: Chinese archivists.

Colleagues,

When I attended ICA Congress in Beijing four years ago, as I recall, one of the interesting points that was made during the conference was that archivists outnumber librarians in China by almost 5:1.  Another was that hosting the Congress was considered an honor due to the fact that it was about such a highly respected profession.

My question is: Is it true that archivists outnumber librarians in China by such a ratio?   Are there any professional texts I could look at that would further enlighten how archivists are viewed as a profession in China?

Thank you for your assistance.  You should email me directly as I am only on the busarch listserv.

Susan

Susan C. Maclin, CA (formerly Box)
Corporate Archivist and
Curator of Special Properties