Re: Chinese archivists.

Title: Chinese archivists.
When I was in China a few years ago I too noticed a difference in attitude about librarians and archivists. One Chinese acquaintance pointed out that I got more respect because of my archival connections than if I'd identified myself as a librarian.  I was told that they considered a university librarian "an old professor who was only good for handing out books to the students until he retired".   Not the sort of image we have over here.