        From:   Carol Bartels [SMTP:Carol@HNOC.ORG]
        Sent:   Wednesday, April 26, 2000 4:59 PM
        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
        Subject:        Headings for Persons

        There is some confusion among our staff over the proper way to enter
certain
        names into our collections management system.  The confusion is
coming with
        entering the names of donors, vendors, etc... so that these are
people who
        are not being entered into the system with birth and death dates to
        distinguish them from others with similar names and are people who
usually
        do not appear in such things as the Library Congress name authority.

        The main confusion arises with women who use their husbands given
name.

        Mrs. Joseph Green

        Is it Green, Mrs. Joseph or should it be Green, Joseph, Mrs.

        And than what happens when there is a suffix, Mrs. Joseph Green, Jr.

        Is it Green Jr., Joseph, Mrs. or Green, Mrs. Joseph, Jr. or possibly
Green,
        Joseph, Jr., Mrs.

        Rule 3.15A. #5 of the Archives Personal Papers, and Manuscripts
(APPM) shows
        it as Green, Joseph, Mrs.
        Rule 22.16B of Rules for Archival Description (RAD)shows it as
Green, Mrs.
        Joseph.
        Rule 22.15B of the Anglo-American Cataloguing Rules (ACCR2) shows it
as
        Green, Mrs. Joseph.

        These rule books do not show examples for people who have suffixes,
such as
        Jr., Sr., II, III, etc...

        So members of the list serve I turn to you.  How are you entering
these
        names?

        To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
listserv@listserv.muohio.edu