Re: Chinese archivists.

I can't answer Susan's question, but I wanted to share from my experiences
on the (second) SAA China Archives study tour in 1986.

They taught us a several Chinese words early in the month-long trip.  The
ones I used immediately were how much, good morning, bathroom, water - and
probably in that order!  But one of my favorite memories is from a meeting
with Chinese archivists.  My mind wandered as I waited for the Chinese
archivist to finish speaking so the translation could begin when much to my
amazement I, for the first time since landing in China, recognized a word
spoken in conversational Chinese.  Appropriately, it was "archives!"  Though
that was the height of my Chinese language experience, further recognition
came for me as we were toured through various archives and saw (at times)
similar settings, equipment and practices as I have seen here.

I still count the entire "China archives tour" experience as one of the most
memorable in my life.  I would encourage any archivist who is ever offered
such an opportunity to definitely take it!

Lynn Ewbank, photo archivist
Arkansas History Commission
One Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201