Re: Building design and planning - advice needed

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Special Collections Librarian/Archivist
Culinary Institute of America
433 Albany Post Road
Hyde Park, NY  12538-1499
(914) 451-1757
c_crawfo@culinary.edu

>>> Thomas Berry <tberry@WCNET.ORG> 04/27/00 10:17AM >>>

>2. One committee member is quite eager to see us install shelving above the
>file cabinets that will be used to store a good portion of our collections.
>He wants to mount it to the walls or hang it from the cieling, and he wants
>to do this in order to not waste the space above the cabinets. The room will
>have a nine or ten foot cieling, which means that only one shelf could
>realistically be installed.

The CIA has an archives room (well, large closet-- ca. 8 ft x 8 ft x 8 ft) which was set up with four-drawer file cabinets. On one wall, over the cabinets, the carpentry department had installed a custom-built set of shelves that is set up to hold long boxes for rolled documents and flat oversized boxes containing scrapbooks, framed items, etc. Luckily, none of these individual boxes is extremely heavy, and I can easily get at them by standing on a kick-stool. The shelves are almost as deep as the file cabinets, so the fronts of the shelves are easily accessible.