Re: Vietnam Collections

Mr. Fisher:

The Modern Military Records Branch of the National Archives at College Park (301-713-7250) has legal custody of approximately 38,000 boxes (with each box containing up to 1000 pages) of official federal records directly pertaining to the involvement of U.S. Forces in Southeast Asia, 1950-1975 (Record Group 472).  The majority of the records relate to the U.S. Army in Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand; including USARV, corps level, division, brigade, battalion, and a few independent companies.  We also have the records of the Military Assistance Command, Vietnam (MACV), Military Equipment Delivery Team, Cambodia (MEDTC), Military Assistance Command, Thailand (MACTHAI) and the Office of Civil Operations and Rural Development Support (CORDS) for the duration of major American involvement.  Additionally, we have the records of the Defense Attache Office, Saigon, the Four Party Joint Military Commission and the Special Assistant to the Ambassador for Field Operations (SAAFO) for the period 1973-1975.

The above description only covers one record group.  We have millions of pages relating to the Vietnam War in other record groups.  Among these are the records of the Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff (RG 218), the records of the Army Staff (RG 319), records of Army Commands (RG 338), records of the U.S. Army Surgeon General (RG 112), records of the Secretary of the Army (RG 335), records of the Department of Defense (RG 330), records of the Secretary of the Air Force (RG 340), records of the Bureau of Naval Personnel (RG 24), and records of the U.S. Marine Corps (RG 127).  The Marine Corps records, however, are somewhat miscellaneous and do NOT include individual unit records, we have not accessioned these records yet.

Our specialty is military records; however, there are pertinent records within the Civilian Records Branch at the National Archives at College Park.  These include the General Records of the Department of State (RG 59) and the records of the Foreign Service Posts of the Department of State (RG 84).  There are also many materials in our non-textual units (Still Pictures, Motion Pictures, Sound, and Video, Cartographic, and Center for Electronic Records).

Anyone wishing to contact the above units may e-mail us at inquire@nara.gov.  Those e-mails will be routed to the appropriate archivists.

Jeannine Swift
Cliff Snyder
Susan Francis-Haughton
Rich Boylan

>>> "STEVEN P. FISHER" <sfisher@DU.EDU> 05/02 4:59 PM >>>
 I thought it might be productive to expand this thread into a dialogue
relating to what we do. Who is collecting Vietnam material? At the
University of Denver we are now collecting material relating to civilian
women who served in Vietnam. A group known as the Circle of Sisters has
been depositing materials with us. Talk about unsung heroes ...

 Anyone else want to share what they are collecting in this area?

 Steve Fisher
 University of Denver