Re: Shelf location in MARC records?

Joy Kingsolver--

> >system. Our vendor is trying to convince me to enter the
> >shelf location of each collection in the call number field,
> >but I have some major hesitations about this.

You don't say why the vendor is pushing for that solution or what you're
preferences are, but I suspect any other choice on your part might involve
custom programming which they are trying to avoid.

MARC format and every OPAC system I've seen accommodates a free text call
number, but the decision usually has a lot to do with how the numbers
display in the public display. Simplest solution is to try a record their
way and try it yours and see what works. The conpromise if there is one
should be between the public display and what you want. The vendor is
there to satisfy you and the institution.

Dan Clinton
Wayne State University and Dykema Gossett, PLLC
Detroit