Re: FW: Question

Katina,

I responded directly to the requester, but am also sending you a copy of what I
sent to her:

I saw your message forwarded to our archives list serve.  I checked the
index to the New Orleans Times-Picayune and found the following
references to that disaster, which occurred February 27, 1984:

            Date    Sec    Pg    Col

        Feb 28:    1      1    5
        Feb 29:    1    20    4
        Mar 3:     1     12    1
        Mar 4:     1       8    1
        Mar 5:     1     11    5
        Mar 6:     1     11    5
        Mar 9:     1     17    1
        Mar 10:   1     13    5

You should be able to request microfilm of these papers at your local
public or academic library through Interlibrary Loan, if you don't live in
an area around New Orleans.

According to the headlines, there was a National Transportation Safety
Board investigation of the accident.  You should be able to contact them
for their records.  The link below is to their website and tells you how
to go about getting information.  Call their toll-free number.

    http://www.ntsb.gov/info/foia.htm

I hope this helps.

John Kelly

PART II

I did a bit more checking in our Federal Documents, and
found the
following in our microfiche collection:  "Marine Accident
Report,
Explosion and Sinking of the United States Tankship SS
American Eagle
Gulf of Mexico February 26 and 27,
1984...NTSB/Mar-85/06...U.S. Dept. of
Transportation... June 28, 1985"

Federal Document No:  TD 1.116:85/06

You should be able to go to any library in your area that
is a
Government Documents Depository and read it.  Call around
and find out
which library in your area might have it.  If none does,
again, go to
your local public library and request it on Interlibrary
Loan.  The
above title and federal document number will be necessary
to request
it.  Good luck.

John Kelly

Katina Koontz wrote:

> I wonder if anyone could possibly help me with the below request?
> Thanks,
> Katina Koontz
> Archivist
> Oncology Nursing Society