Re: fixed archival responsibility?

Actually a number of publishers HAVE traditionally made back copies
of journals available, usually on microfilm. So in that sense this would
not be an unusual departure from tradition. What is different is that
libraries traditionally did not make this a condition of subscribing,
assuming that replacements would be available somewhere. Given the
transitory nature of electronic subscription libraries are probably
looking to cover themselves.

 As for making a preservation replacement copy, I seem to recall that
that is allowed under copyright law as long as that really is the purpose.

 Steve Fisher
 University of Denver