Re: Record Group numbers in MARC format

I suppose the answer somewhat depends upon the use the Record Group Number
had in the Archives when it used RG numbers.  In the college archives on
the Mainland where I worked some time ago, the record group really
functioned as a call number.  We cataloged onto cards and used the name of
the office in the 110 field.  As a result, one could use the record group
number as call number.  If, however, the Archives no longer employs record
group numbers or has another call number system, then such information
would have to go in one of the 5xx note fields.  I do not have our copy of
USMARC handy so cannot look it up to see if one is appropriate, and I'm
not nearly good enough as a cataloger to know without going to the source.

Jim Cartwright          <jimc@hawaii.edu>