Scanner for 4x5 b&w negatives

Please let me know your recommendation for the "best" flatbed scanner for 4x5 black and white photo negatives.

We are looking for a fast scanner that also includes software that does not require a lot of exposure adjustments for the image.

We currently have an HP ScanJet IIcx with a transparency adaptor.  It scans photographic prints very well, but scanning b&w negatives constantly requires the operator to make adjustments to the brightness and contrast.   We also have a UMAX Mirage IIse which scans negatives very well.  Adjustments are rarely required.  However it scans VERY slowly.

I'm considering the HP6300Cxi with a transparency adaptor.  I'm concerned that it may scan b&w negatives as poorly as IIcx.  Please let me know if you are using a scanner for b&w negatives that you are very pleased with.

I'm not sure about HP's PhotoSmart scanners.  The negatives I'm scanning are fifty to sixty years old.  Some have begun to channel and have the flexibility of potato chips.  I concerned that they could be damaged by being slid in and out of a slot.

Thank you and sincerely,

Peter J. Roberts
Georgia State University