Scanner for slides & photos

We have to scan 2000 slides, negatives and 4000 photos (sizes 4X6 to 8.5X11)
for an archives office. We are looking for a very good and fast scanner,
with a very good resolution.

Some people informed us that we must buy 2 scanners, a flatbed for photos
and an other only for slides and negatives, for good results. Please can you
suggest us the best flatbed scanner under 1000$ and the best scanner for
slides under 1200$ or a very good scanner for the two jobs?

We don't want to make constantly adjustments to the brightness and contrast.

We were looking for HP6300C but people on usenet says that we will have to
do adjustments for slides because the result is unsharp...

After scanning, documents conserve yes or no their juridical value?

Thank you and sorry for my spelling mistakes, english is not my first
language...

Suzanne Turgeon
National Assembly
Quebec