Processing Priority Criteria

Dean,

another issue in addition to your list of criteria for attacking the
backlog:  existing staff expertise to deal with collection subject.  Maybe
you just don't have anyone who can efficiently tackle the papers of a solar
scientist (yet)

another issue:  is the collection still growing?  do you expect additions in
the near future?

another issue:  high profile collections and administrative priorities

another issue:  confidentiality/privacy of living correspondents in the
collection

another issue:  building on existing collection strengths

We don't have a form like you ask for, but i deal with all those issues in
suggesting and setting processing agendas for the manuscript unit here.
It's a constant juggle to move new collections and to attack the backlog, as
you suggest.

L. Rebecca Johnson Melvin
Special Collections
University of Delaware Library