Re: indexing periodicals

Christine:

Decide how detailed an index you want.  Do you want to index only major topics?
Personal names in mentioned in an article? The dates? Place names? Article
titles?

We use a controlled vocabulary for indexing. The consistency this enforces is
helpful when you want to bring everything on a topic together.  With
publications I've found it helpful to include a field for an abstract or (more
frequently) just the story's headline to give ourselves and our researchers a
little more detail on what the content of the story is.

Tom Harkins
Associate Archivist
Duke University Archives
thomas.harkins@duke.edu