reference room hours

Diana:
Here at the Space Business Archives, we require an appointment for all
research visitors. For one reason, I'm the only one there that can do
reference at the moment. Secondly, my documents are stored off-site, and it
takes me a day to get them. If someone showed up out of the blue, there
would be nothing for them to see anyway!!
As far as closing up shop early, it's necessary if you plan on going home at
a reasonable time. If you extend the time, they will always ask for "five
more minutes", which it never will. And of course, if you make an exception,
word gets out and it will no longer be just an exception. Explain to this
person that the documents need to be refiled and this takes time. It's a
matter of a collection's integrity that appropriate measures are taken to
ensure that everything is where it should be at the end of the day. It also
becomes a security precaution in that you need time to determine that
nothing has "walked off." Explain to him that these hours help to ensure
that open access will be maintained.

I think in these situations the best thing to do is explain things to the
researcher, that these rules are in place for a purpose and ultimately
serves them.

Neil