Re: Reference Hours

 I want to thank everyone who responded to my query regarding reference
hours vs. staff hours and the necessity of appointments.

Overwhelmingly, it appears that institutions are open longer hours than they
offer for reference hours.  This isn't a surprise considering the variety of
other responsibilities we all have.

As a follow-up:  Our letter to the dissatisfied researcher was met with yet
another unhappy letter (also cc'd to the Mayor's office).  We are taking
this bad PR and turning it into an additional opportunity to remind the
Mayor about the extent (and excellence) of our services.  What's the saying
about a sow's ear?!  ; ^ )

Thanks again!

Diana Banning
City Archivist