Re: permanent loan vs gift

Hello -- I'd like to add to this conversation.  The benefits of a loan v. a
gift really depends on the situation.  We hold the collections of certain
state governors that technically belong to the State Archives in Pierre.
The State Archives and the University of South Dakota decided (way before I
came here) that the best place for the collections in question was at the
University, where they were more likely to be used for scholarly research.
Therefore, they are here thanks to a "permanent loan" from the State
Archives.  The merit of this kind of arrangement really depends on the
needs of the Archives and of the collection.

Our agreement for the permanent loan sets out the conditions under which
the Archives must administer the collection (including description
requirements and restrictions) and the fact that the collection is a
permanent loan.  It also stipulates the terms under which the loaning
institution can remove the records from the archives, including a
stipulation that the archives has a specific amount of time in which to
remedy any breaches of the loan conditions before the collections can be
removed.

Amy Cooper
Archivist/Special Collections Librarian
I. D. Weeks Library