Re: Reference Hours

I think the whole business of being compared to other organizations is
unrealistic to the point of silliness.  People who tend to get hung up on how
disappointed they are that one  institution doesn't compare favorably with
another usually don't bother to consider the huge differences in funding,
staffing, collection scope and size, and other criteria that tend to make most
comparisons meaningless.

I've had one problem with being compared to another facility. Last year a guest
was rather annoyed that our fledgling, low-budget, all-volunteer museum wasn't
on a par with the Air Force Museum down the highway in Dayton, which he'd
visited the day before coming here.

As far as appointments go, I'm the only person here, and if I'm not here a guest
doesn't get in. If I know someone is coming, I'll know to keep my schedule clear
for that appointment. When I explain it that way, any complaints about having to
make an appointment usually end. (However, I do get the occasional visitor from
the next time zone west who forgets that we're on Eastern time.)

Best wishes,

Thomas Berry, Archivist
Historical Construction Equipment Association
16623 Liberty Hi Road
Bowling Green, Ohio 43402
Phone 419-352-5616
Fax 419-352-6086