Re: "permanent loan" vs "gift"

In many cases, "permanent loan" is the only viable way to preserve records
that are important to the entire community.  Several parishes have placed on
"permanent loan" in our Rare Book library their colonial-era Bibles and
Prayer Books.  In my view, this should be encouraged.  It protects their
heritage and allows us to use them in exhibitions of national scope and
significance.  One such item is now travelling the US in a Library of
Congress exhibition on Religion and the Founding of the American Republic.

Margaret Shannon
Curator (volunteer)
Cathedral Rare Book Library
Washington National Cathedral