Re: Response to Reference Hours and question on security

Frances:

It's not easy to convince others about security but here are some thoughts.
There are three issues I have dealt with as a one-person shop, managing
both Archives and Rare Book Collections, plus one night a week at the
general reference desk. (I have an MSLS, by the way).
1) library "culture" or training
2) Ignorance of the issues
3) Dealing with unpleasant patrons--related to #2

1) "Culture."  Librarians are taught that access is paramount and they
dislike telling people they have to wait--it's against their nature.  As a
librarian, I hate telling people that a book they desperately need is
checked out, the archives is closed, the one person who can help them is on
vacation, etc.  We feel badly for the person and want to do all we can,
even if that's just giving them a phone number or address as a referral or
sending them to the interlibrary loan office.  (I'm sure many archivists
feel the same way.)  In the archives, we have to deal with saying "no" a
bit more.  If we don't have it, we don't have it--too bad.  If something
can't be photocopied because it's too fragile, we have to say no.  People
get annoyed because they can't take notes in ink.  We can't interlibrary
loan stuff.  Sometimes we can't loan things for exhibits.  Often a detailed
finding aid isn't available and the patron has to page through lots of
papers to find what they are looking for.

2) Ignorance of the issues.  Help them to understand that in special
collections, access has to be balanced with security--it's not the same as
general collections--that's why it's called "SPECIAL"!! ;)

Find something in your collection that might raise their level of
concern--a very valuable book or highly confidential information--something
they can relate to--and ask what would happen if something were to walk off
or get mislaid!  Show them examples of damaged book spines (where people
carelessly pulled them off the shelf.)  This is what happens to books when
no one is there to supervise.  Are they willing to spend the time
supervising a patron closely?  (Probably not).  Ask if they are willing to
assume the fall out from confidential information getting out.  The
integrity of the collection (and the idea of an archives) is threatened
when  untrained staff have access.   Does the cataloging office want you
coming in and attempting to do some of their work?  Of course not-you don't
have the training and shouldn't be in there.  What's the point of having a
special place if it doesn't get special security?  Is that what the staff
wants?  Librarians, administrators, and other professional expect to adhere
to professional standards--special collections professionals should be
allowed to have standards too.  Why wouldn't your institution want you to
follow standards?  If some of your competition follows these standards, use
that as leverage.  "John Q Public College does it-why don't we?"

3) Dealing with unpleasant patrons.  This may sound like an excuse but I do
know that it's an issue with some people.  We recently had a graduate
student who was really ugly to our reference staff because the archives was
closed. No one wants to be put in a position of dealing with difficult
patrons and staff are less likely to support policies where this might
happen.  I don't mind dealing with the patron because I have the authority
to explain the issues but it's the weekend and evening staff that often get
the abuse.  If your staff can understand the issues, they in turn, can
explain it to the patron.  It might help the staff to provide them with
standardized answers for typical complaints.

My 2 cents for today.

Good Luck!

Beth S. Harris          Special Collections Management Librarian
Wyndham Robertson Library       POB 9000, 7950 E. Campus Drive
Hollins University                      Roanoke, VA  24020
Fax: (540) 362-6756             Ph.: (540) 362-6237
Website:  http://www.hollins.edu