Re: Halon dump

I should know better; but......

Before I begin, a huge disclaimer. 1] This is my PERSONAL understanding ONLY based on my own experiences and research; and 2] these are also my personal opinions only and not necessarily those of my current or past employers.

While working my way through college to get into this wonderful profession I worked for one of the 2 leading producers of halon fire suppression systems in the United States. Chances are high that many of you with current or past halon systems; the components of that system were produced at the facility where I worked.

In all of my experience and training with handling halon; the main CONCERN from a personal health risk issue is carcinogenic. (Also to my knowledge there are no studies which even conclusively identify halon as a carcinogen; but I have not even tried to keep up with these studies since the late 1980's.)

The reason halon was "banned" was because, like freon, it is not environmentally friendly and it's discharge into the atmosphere has been strictly regulated (and properly so.)

The concerns about being present during a "dump" come more from the release of a gas stored under very high pressure into an enclosed space (and most of these concerns, including the displacement of oxygen in the atmosphere, would also apply to ANY gas stored under similar pressure; including some of the proposed halon replacement systems.)

Particularly if unwarned by an alarm system, it is a rather traumatic experience to be in a room where halon is discharged. (If you want to know if you have a dust problem, it will become very evident during a discharge!)

Though the gas does displace the oxygen, it does not pose ANY threat of suffocation to exposed personnel. As stated before the health concerns are from prolonged exposure, which don't include singular exposure during a dump.

Noisy, scary, and disturbing a dump is: hazardous to your health, no (unless you are susceptible to heart attack or other health issues brought on by high stress.) It'll definitely get the old ticker going and the adrenalin flowing!

Please don't get me wrong, I am not advocating halon suppression systems. I'm just surprised at some of the responses I have seen to this post and hope to alleviate some of the concern and questions surrounding the issue. But at the same time; if you are feeling concerned about the potential health risks I STRONGLY recommend that you do your own research including talking with a health care professional whose opinion you trust.

Feel free to contact me personally and I'll be glad to share some funny stories from the production floor.

Anyway, greetings from sunny south Florida, have a great day, and God bless.

Sincerely,

Curtis Welch
Sr. Records Management Analyst
Pinellas Co. BCC Admin. Services