Re: Expertise Needed: Chalk Artwork

Deidre:

In an earlier life I was an art studies major, and took a few classes
involving chalk on paper as a drawing medium. With all due respect to my
archivist colleagues, I urge you to be exceedingly careful should you choose
to employ any commercial (of the shelf) artists' spray fixative application
to stabilize the drawing in question.

Primarily my views come from two angles: 1)most commercial spray fixatives
will yellow in time, and 2)could impart an undesirable chemistry into the
drawing that could prove harmful to the paper in the long term.

Since you didn't advise the Listserv recipients as to how old the drawing
is/may be (or what kind of paper the drawing was done on), all the more
reason for the excercise of caution.

In your shoes, I'd rely on the consultation of qualified art conservators
first and would absolutely steer clear of the "quick" solution to the
problem. Then I'd deal with the long-term storage/archiving of the object.

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant
California State Archives