Re: on-line auctions

On the subject of people who want cash, cash only...I was startled a couple of
years ago to get a phone call from a woman whose mother had been the clerk of a
small Maine town, working out of her home as was the custom (still is in a few
places that don't have town offices, actually).  The daughter had "inherited"
many years' worth of vital records, and she told me firmly that she expected
they were worth money and the State should be willing to pay her to turn them
over to us.

What made it a mind-boggling situation was that she was an employee of the
State's own Vital Records unit.  I believe the State Archivist convinced her to
do the right thing (legally and morally) and turn the vitals in her possession
over to the town's current clerk - without having to contact the Attorney
General's Office - but that one still makes me shake my head every time I think
about it.

Nina M. Osier, Director
Division of Records Management Services
Maine State Archives