Salaries and Jobs

Having experience working in an academic library, non-profit and currently a corporate environment, things have
been curiously THE SAME with regard to salary questions/negotiations.  Every time I have been hired I have negotiated a higher
salary than what was offered--even when I had little archival experience.  Working for a university I negotiated
a 25 cent an hour raise just by asking over the telephone.  Two of my jobs had a preferred salary listed and one,
my current employer, had no range or salary information.  It was totally up to me to do the leg work and negotiate which
was frustrating but was worth it.

Is it frustrating and wrong when salaries aren't listed?  Yes.  They should be listed or at least a range.  And if am employer
asks for your salary requirement you better list something or risk not even being considered--that has been my experience.

I've talked to too many archivists who don't feel comfortable negotiating and that's frustrating as well.  If you want
a higher salary at least ASK and see what happens.  Especially  a personnel representative who probably doesn't have
too much of a clue what you do.  Why not fill them in on how talented you are and then ask for more money.?

In this economy especially there are ways around all your bosses arguments--the favorites always seem to be office
equity, university pay scales for similar positions, etc.  Still ask and negotiate.  Your supervisor will remember it
a year from now, etc.  Or negotiate vacation benefits.

ASK ASK ASK.

Bill Casari
Forbes Archivist