GENCAT and Re:Discovery Users

Hello.  Our archives is in the final stages of choosing a collection
management software program and we have narrowed our choices down to either
GENCAT's Archives System or Re:Discovery.  Right now we're leaning toward
GENCAT because a) it appears to be more flexible - they've promised several
times that they are able to change it to fit our needs precisely, b) their
Internet module supports both EAD and HTML (since we haven't made up our
minds yet exactly how we're going to present our information on the
Internet, this is a plus), c) I've simply seen more references to GENCAT
than Re:Discovery, and we want to buy a software program that other archives
have used successfully.

If those of you who use either of these programs could contact us, we would
greatly appreciate it.  We'd just like to have more of a sense of how other
institutions are using the software, what are the drawbacks as well as the
strengths of the different programs, and whether the companies provides
sufficient support for their products.

Thank you,

Jeannine Strunk
Assistant Archivist