Re: Salary, compensation, relocation

Sorry, but I can't resist: Subsidized cafeteria? Free parking? Subsidized
public transportation?  Relocation reimbursement to the tune of $15,000?  I
thought Communism was dead?  I must say to newcomers to the profession, if
anyone were to show up in my office (or the offices of most of my peers)
with these ideas they would be given "subsidized transportation" back from
whence they came, PDQ.   Seriously, though, all this talk of free this and
subsidized that is an illusion.  You are paying for it, make no mistake.

>What is total compensation, you ask? Well it is comprised of your salary,
>benefits and anything else that you can attach a monetary value to. So does
>your employer provide free parking or subsidize public transportation? Does
>your employer have a subsidized cafeteria. Do they provide medical, dental,
>life and AD&D insurance? do they provide discounts on purchases? Do they
>provide you with access to a gym etc.
>All of the above and more have a dollar value attached to them. If employed
>by a university what tuition discounts are provided. Well you get the
>picture.
William A. Richards, CA
University Librarian
and Associate Professor