Re: reel-to-reel tape transfer technology?

Have a similar problem here and would love to see the responses.
Deborah McFadden

-----Original Message-----
From: Bunker, Kevin [mailto:kbunker@SS.CA.GOV]
Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2000 1:26 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: reel-to-reel tape transfer technology?

A general query to the collective wisdom of the listserv:

I am watching the back-and-forth techno talk re transfering movie film to
video, DVDs and so on. It now occurs to me that I have personal reel-to-reel
recordings in my own "home archives" that I'd hate to lose to time.

How best might I have these copied to current technology? Is it even worth
the thought of CD technology? Dub them onto new tape?

These have been stored in the dark, in relatively cool temperatures
(although not always optimum temps, I'm sure).
Problems include some recordings made at 1 3/4" [?] speeds; I can no longer
find playback equipment that will accomodate that speed. Others are the more
typical 7 7/8" and 3 3/4" speeds. The older ones probably are on
poor-quality (i.e. thin, cheap) tape; the later ones are on slightly better
material.

Any and all advice or comments is greatly appreciated!
Perhaps other archives people have similar problems within their
institutions?

Sincerely,

Kevin V. Bunker
Student Assistant