Re: reel-to-reel tape transfer technology?

Kevin,
When talking about reel to reel tape we usually describe the physical
(width)  dimensions (usually 1/4", but possibly 1/2", 1", or 2").  When
talking about the recording speeds we refer to ips (inches per second).
Your recordings would most likely be 1-7/8ips, 3-3/4ips, 7-1/2ips, and
possibly 15ips or 30ips.  A faster speed means you are using more tape and
therefore getting a higher quality recording.

1-7/8ips is the speed of your normal cassette.  This might be okay for
spoken word, but for music and more complex recordings it is usually
recommended that the speed be at least 7-1/2ips.

Many of the reel to reel machines do not have the 1-7/8 speed.  Old portable
units also rarely have anything but 3-3/4 or 7-1/2.

I think most experts would tell you to transfer your recordings to new reel
to reel tape stock.  This would be your "archival" copy.  Transferring to
cassette or CD makes for a nice user copy.  It's true that reel to reel
machines are getting harder to find these days, but as far as I know it is
still considered the "archival" tape medium (if there is such a thing).

As usual it will probably boil down to money.  How much are you willing to
spend on this project?  Do you have any friends with good equipment?  There
are definitely places around the country who could perform this service for
you, although prices probably vary greatly.  I would assume you have lots of
options out in California.  Let me know if you get desperate.

Sincerely,
Matt Sprinkle - AV Archivist
American Heritage Center - P.O. Box 3924
University of Wyoming - Laramie, WY  82071-3924
307-766-2579    FAX 307-766-5511
matts@uwyo.edu