From: Butcher Sharon L Contr AEDC/ACS
[mailto:Sharon.Butcher@ARNOLD.AF.MIL]
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2000 9:45 AM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: Re: Funding

This may be a bit tangential to funding of an archives, but I had luck one
time in getting an archival project funded because it was an approaching
anniversary of the company. Efforts by a prior individual (who had no
archival training) to convince upper management of the need to restore the
founder's original laboratory notebooks had met with no success. The
glorious 23 lab notebooks, dating from right after the Civil War, were in
dire need of restoration. The bindings in particular. The recipes for rubber
products were often written in code, in lovely penmanship, and ledgers
provided insight as to the customers which this fledgling chemical operation
served. A big to-do was being made about an anniversary milestone coming up
in a year or two, so I prepared a full proposal, including costs for
restoration of the notebooks, as well as a special environmentally designed
display case. I sent it to the immediate powers that be, who thought it a
swell idea. Granted, this was a differend individual than who had squelched
the other initial proposal, but I think a poorly prepared proposal that time
helped kill it. This enlighted VP knew the CEO loved books and history (I
recall was actually a history major), and next thing I knew, the CEO and
next lower in command were visiting my area, viewing the books, saying
'something should have been done a long time ago. Whatever it takes. Money
is no object'.  Manna from heaven. Point I'm trying to make is it might be
possible to position funding requests around an upcoming milestone in the
university or the company. Upper management like hoopla, and this can help
make them look good. It worked for me, but all the stars were in alignment.
Good luck.

Sharon Lee Butcher
Reference Librarian
AEDC Technical Library