Re: copyright and the list

I would imagine that in order for a case of copyright (the exclusive legal
right to reproduce, publish, and sell the matter and form) infringement
based on full text copying of another's comments on a listserv to be heard
in a court of law, there would have to be strong proof that the creator
lost profits.

So wouldn't this simply be plagiarism?  And still that does not fly
because there would need to be proof that one was stealing another's ideas
without giving credit to the source.  Since most of these "quotes" are
appended with their original information (the source), I really don't see
the point of this.

I assumed by having an open and free disscussion that quoting of another's
email (such an obvious act) is used solely for clarification.  I would be
extremely wary of using a threat such as copy right infringement to
accomplish a completely different act such discouraging people from
appending messages.

Althea E. Miller