        From:   Scott, Kim A. [SMTP:kascott@MONTANA.EDU]
        Sent:   Wednesday, June 28, 2000 1:09 PM
        To:     ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
        Subject:        Re: lying with pixels

        There is a fantastic book for Civil War buffs by William A.
Frassanito
        called _Gettysburg: a journey in time_ which I highly recommend.  It
seems
        that the practice of manipulating photographs was alive and well by
the time
        the Civil War came around, although it was usually done outside the
camera
        by the placement of subjects (in this case, dead bodies, moved
hither and
        yon by photographer Timothy O'Sullivan to get the effect he wanted.)
I can
        picture Matthew Brady, armed with Adobe Photoshop, getting some
great action
        shots without even getting close enough to smell the gunpowder.

        I think Dennis is right...the horse IS in the next state!

        Kim (photographic memory) Scott

        To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
listserv@listserv.muohio.edu