Re: cataloging archives

This is an interesting question, Mellisa, and in our profession's headlong
rush to embrace the EADS imbroglio we ought to occasionally consider the
library catalog and its application to our stuff.  The type of cataloging
that you are describing is called "analytical" and has been used by
librarians for eons to give item level description to chapters in books and
individual articles in serials when it was felt the information was
important enough to bring to the browswer's attention.  If we consider that
series descriptions within a finding aid are analogous to chapters in a
book, it makes perfect sense to make an analytical entry for those you wish
to highlight.  The same holds true for individual documents within
collections.  As always, the major consideration should be what will benefit
the user in his search for pertinent information on his topic.

I guess the main thing to keep in mind before creating your analytic record
is to make sure the overall comprehensive record is in place first, as Steve
Hensen describes in the APPM manual, section 0.12. Its like a pyramid, and
you have to have a point, to have a point....

Kim (just me and my Arrow) Scott