movies & history

On the other hand, sometimes Hollywood goes too far.  A couple months ago I served as an extra for a Disney film using our Colorado train to portray (somehow) the building of the railroad in California.  What appalled me (every groan together) was that all the extras were dressed in REAL 19th century clothing.  Pieces were falling off everytime someone moved.  Then it snowed.  Many of the items probably started as museum-quality but after this they'll be lucky to draft an accurate pattern from them.  This is apparently standard practice.  I guess they think it easier to use originals than to make reproductions.  What they're going to do when the originals destruct, I don't know.

Anne L. Foster
Archival Fellow
Center of Southwest Studies
Fort Lewis College