Re: Movie Madness!!!

"Scott, Kim A." wrote:

> Man, oh man!  This list is alive and well for off topic, Friday (or in this
> case Thursday) wierdness threads, and I dig it!  I cannot imagine such
> chattering on one of the ALA listservs...but then, I have never tuned in to
> them.  Moderators? ugh...they would spoil this thing forever...

Anarchy rules!

> One thing on the movie thread that struck a distant chord of relevance was
> Roy's posting on movie people as archive customers.  How many of  you have
> had Hollywood types in your reading rooms?

Movie people, documentary people, tv-people, I've seen
'em all.  The documentary folks are usually easy to work with
(they have done research on the topic already) but the movie and
tv-folks often want the impossible, yesterday.  I guess I should
mention live theater people, too, who fall somewhere in
between.  (Gross generalizations, of course.)

> How do they stack up in comparison to Genealogists?

Media people are usually greedier and less grateful, though
there are exceptions.

> Are they almost exclusively interested in your
> photographs, or do they actually look at documents too?  My own experience
> with them has been very limited, and in each case all they wanted to look at
> were photographs.  Once they saw how dismally we had them arranged, and how
> much time it would take to peruse them, they fell back on good old Hollywood
> imagination for costume and set design...

Usually photos.  Text bores them.

My worst experience recently was being contacted by a local TV
station for an image of the Confederate Battle Flag.  They sent
a reporter and cameraman up to shoot an image and get a comment
from me on the 'true meaning' of the flag.  I dodged that, of course,
while the cameraman (obviously not a Southerner) needled me with
comments about Southern history.  I saw myself on the news that
night, saying "the flag means different things to different people"
with the title "expert" under my name . . . That was my 3.5 seconds
of fame, I suppose.

> Kim (wants to star in the film version of Mornings on Horseback) Scott

TR running the Germans off San Juan Hill has been done to death, IMHO.

Ed Frank