Re: Movie Madness

Roy Webb wrote:

> > Me too, me too! For me though it is the aircraft and armored vehicles that
> > are being used.
> >
> Me three;

Me four.

> my wife won't even watch movies with me anymore that
> have historical themes because I can't resist picking the
> inaccuracies out.

My wife and son warily asked me if I'd like to see
'U-571' and I lived up to their expectations--you
couldn't pay me to watch it.

[snips--b.t.,d.t.]

>  And that thing about the
> recoil; I've often thought I would volunteer to be out of camera range
> with a rope around the tail of the cannon, just to give it a jerk at the
> right time and make it look like it's actually fired.  Didn't that movie
> GETTYSBURG try to do this?

Can't recall.  IIRC, that Hornblower miniseries got this
right, but that's the exception.

> I just read in a magazine, however, about the new movie PEARL
> HARBOR, which apparently has gone to great pains to have the
> correct aircraft for the film.  So we can keep on hoping.

With digitization, perhaps the whole dependence of Hollywood
on borrowed tanks and equipment will come to an end.

That said, I enjoyed 'Gladiator' and think 'Saving Private Ryan'
is a great movie, despite the details they got wrong.

Ed Frank