Re: QUERY:photograph collection cataloging

Dear Bridgette,

We normally don't assign different numbers or codes to reproduced
images, but do make note of them in our database (File Maker Pro) and
stamp the orignial negative jacket with "Duplicate negative has been
made"  Duplicate negativies and interpositives are all stored
individually by type.

For example, our Bayard Wootten collection contains 5x7, 8x10 original
negatives as well as glass negs. 5x7s retain the original number, 8x10s
have a "C" (WM-C-XXX-XXX) and glass a "G"

By using multiple fields we input the accession number and any copies
that have been made into the record, thus we can still cross refernce by
artist, subject, or negative number and have a complete record of all
availible negatives and prints that relate to it.  The only variation is
when we make a 4x5 dupe negative as a result of a patron or departmental
order that is then incorporated into our collection.  The neg is then
accessioned and given a cronological number based upon year and
numerical sequence (100-xx), but is still added to the catalogue record
so that if needed we know which formats and how many copies of each
image are on hand.

Also, I'd advise storing the different processes separately, it makes
retrieval faster, (you don't have to sift through everything just to get
a dupe neg) not to mention the risks of off gassing deteroation
contaminating the duplicates.

Hope this helps.

Keith Longiotti
NCC Photo Archives