From: Bridgette Kelly [mailto:BKelly@STANHYWET.ORG]
Sent: 05 July, 2000 1:24 PM
To: ARCHIVES@LISTSERV.MUOHIO.EDU
Subject: QUERY:photograph collection cataloging

Hi all!

I'd like some advice on how other people organize their photograph
collection. We're in the middle of a project that will significantly
increase the size of our photograph collection, and since I have the o.k. to
change some of the organization I thought I'd try to get it hammered out
before we start cataloging this collection. Here's the situation:

We have many historic photographs, gelatin negatives, and glass plate
negatives. Over the years, historic photographs have been reproduced, and
working negatives have been made from both historic photos & historic negs.
Historic photographs are housed in the same folder/box as these modern
reproductions, and often assigned the same number (without noting its
provenance). The working negatives are assigned a different number (N-#) and
are cross-referenced to the corresponding photograph.

My concern is: how should I distinguish between historic photos &
reproductions? Should there be another separated # that is cross-referenced?
or just a '.a' or '.2' be added to the original number? Should the modern
reproductions be housed separately from the originals?

Any input or advice that you can share from your experiences would help a
lot. I'm sure there is an easy answer that I simply have not thought of yet.

Thanks for your assistance! :)

Bridgette A. Kelly, Special Collections Manager
Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens
714 N. Portage Path
Akron, OH 44303
330-836-5533 ext. 132    fax: 330-836-2680
BKelly@stanhywet.org      www.stanhywet.org