Re: Ownership of Files

>I've stopped trying to get the University to try and get the negatives
>back, they don't want bad feelings since he's an alum., as is his wife,
>who once was in charge of the alumni association.
>
>...right about here, I'm shrugging my shoulders, what else can I
>do????

Hi!

        You are handling this situation in the correct way.  It sounds like a
fight not worth fighting now, but later time may allow the collection come
back into your institution's care.

         I am currently handling transfers from the Governor's office, and this
year is the end of administration for our governor who has been in office
for roughly 16 years.  I have been trying to find a missing record series
for several months now.  I found out that the person who handled that
series, also managed another office within the Governor's Office.  When she
passed away due to cancer, her office was cleaned out by one of the two
offices that she was over.  Through several contacts, I now know that the
missing record series is filed within the records of the other office.  I
could go over the office and search for the records, but I know the other
office is not aware of the missing series nor want their records examined
til time for the end of the administration transfer.  I figure that the
records are coming over in several months anyway, so why pick a fight now
this close to the end of the administration.

        Like the old saying says "Let sleeping dogs lie..."

Regards,
Bill

"Mix 'em up.  I'm tired of State's Rights"
Major General George H. Thomas, USA
William H. (Bill) Brown, C.A.
Governors' Records Archivist
North Carolina State Archives