card board "printing plates"

Dear Listers,

Thanks to those who responded to my oral history query.  Reading the printing blocks question reminded me that i have not yet discovered how or what these card board pieces that appear to have been used to print ads, photographs and whole articles where.  I realise that i should have by this time in my career figured this out  but i havent so i thought i would throw it out here.  What on earth are these things, what are they called, how were they used and how are people storing/using them in  the archives?  I know they are out there as i have seen them in at least three of the archives i have worked in.

Thanks again to all who respond.

Rob Dishon
Archivist
LaGuardia & Wagner Archives