BETA video players

[cross-posted, please excuse...]

For years I've been telling my supervisors that we need a BETA
video deck to play back all of the many BETA tapes we've either
gotten in collections, or that we've had made as part of our film
conversion processes.

But now they are making noises like they are actually going to buy
one, and my feet are to the fire.  Specifically, I need to know the
difference between the standard-size BETA tapes we have, and the
great big ones; and is there a difference between BETA and BETA
SP, and finally, what kind of deck we should be looking at just for
playback of the tapes.  I don't want to record or produce the tapes, I
just want to be able to play them.  I'm talking about broadcast
standard
BETA that is still in use, or just being phased out, not the old
competitor-to-VHS.  I looked at the very handy Vidipax videotape
format
guide, but didn't get what I need to know in this case.

Any information greatly appreciated,

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections