Re: New Yorker Pile-on

One reason that early printing is so valuable for business and labor
history is that the records of the printers and paper makers etc have
disappeared. The books become the main source for studying the
organization of the industries. Consequently, the artifact becomes the
archive of last resort. I do not know how well-documented the 19th century
newspaper business is, but the actual newspapers might serve the same
purpose in the future.

Michael Knies