Re: Pretty In Pink

Phil Donahue wrote:

{HUGE SNIP}

> I'm just a bit tired of the double standards involved here. Keeping this
> dress locked away serves no useful purpose.

{/SNIP}

I'd have thought this was clearer: has anyone bothered to contact the
alleged holder of the artifact to verify its status as to
display/no-display, or more fundamentally, do they have it?

There is no double standard here...only wild speculation until someone
can definitely say who's got the dress and whether or not it can be
seen.

As to an institution holding materials that can NEVER be seen, well,
that's starts to sound a little paranoid. Sure, there's material that
has such long restrictions upon as to effectively prevent me from EVER
seeing it (unless some of the gerontologist around this neighborhood
where I work come up with some really super treatments soon), but that
is very different from NO access, period.

But we still don't know WHO actually has the dress nor what their policy
is concerning its display.

Whew.

Dennis

--
Dennis Moser, MILS, Web Librarian / dennism@library.tmc.edu
John P. McGovern Historical Collections & Research Center