long threads & lack of information

Perhaps the long thread about researcher access to artifacts became so
extended because there was no official answer posted by a representative of
the National Archives.  Had the National Archives (NARA) been able to respond
quickly as to whether or not it held the artifact in question and why it
could or could not make it available to researchers, a lot of the needless
speculation would have been avoided.  Access policies, donor restrictions,
and statutory restrictions are relevant issues for this List, especially when
they relate to Presidential materials, but it helps if we can discuss them in
an informed way.  I worked for 14 years at the National Archives but left the
agency's employ in 1990.  While I am willing to speak generally about
government archivists, disclosure screening and access policies, I would
rather not attempt to speak up on what artifacts the National Archives does
or does not hold.  That's best left to an official spokesperson.  I wish
someone from NARA would put the thread to rest by providing an official
answer on the artifact--it's too bad much of the discussion has taken place
in such an information vacuum.  Maarja Krusten (maarja@aol.com)