Re: Processing/procedures manual

Gordon,

This past spring I attended a workshop (at New England Archivists) given by Bruce Stark.  I don't believe it is online, but the 1998 edition is current enough for me to use when working with a new intern (and heaven knows when I'll ever get to write out a 100+ page manual...why should I when Bruce has already put together a good one?)

On another note--the intern using the manual bookmarked pages 49-50, the appendix containing the perpetual calendar.  It was with a deliciously smug feeling that I watched all the requests for online perpetual calendars whiz by, and never need to look at them because the manual kept it at my fingertips!

I would suggest taking a look at this if you can get a copy of it (perhaps through NEA, or Bruce Stark directly, though I don't recall if he's at the U. of CT, oor CT State Library and Archives.

It builds on processing traditions from a variety of New England repositories, and yet allows for customizing (yes, I've scribbled in the margins to make it suit UTC...)

So you may want to take a look at a few manuals that aren't online.  Some can be quite good.

Holly Hodges
UTChattanooga