NARA publishes proposed rule revising FOIA regulations

The National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) published a proposed rule in the August 23, 2000, Federal Register at page 51270.  This proposed rule combines FOIA procedures for NARA archival records currently in 36 CFR part 1254, with those for NARA operational records currently in 36 CFR part 1250.  This proposed rule also incorporates the changes resulting from the Electronic Freedom of Information Act Amendments of 1996 (EFOIA).  Comments must be received by October 23, 2000.

You may access the proposed rule via GPO Access (http://www.access.gpo.gov/su_docs/fedreg/a000823c.html).  We will also have a copy of the proposed rule linked from our Opportunities for Public Comment web page (http://www.nara.gov/nara/pubcom.html) shortly.