Re: Policies regrding sending electronic images

I agree with Mr. Higgins.  One can do a lot more with a even a mediocre RC copy print in terms of scanning and distributing the image than a low-resolution JPEG.  The point is not so much the medium type that you issue to a patron but the paper work, applications and other instruments that you insist they sign prior to receiving a duplicate.  All of these forms that we all work so hard to create and revise every few years are designed to protect our institutions from liability and to declare the terms under which we issue copies of material.  Beyond that, we must be as vigilant as possible in verifying that our images have been used properly.  Electronic watermarks can help to identify digital images, but I think that we are always faced with the possibility that people will misuse our materials.

Peter F. Schmid, CA
Photo Archivist
Nantucket Historical Association
Nantucket, MA 02554